Transportation Integrated Stormwater Management
Source: Freese & Nichols; Dallas South Lamar Street.
The Transportation Appendix of NCTCOG’s integrated Stormwater Management (iSWM) Manual for Site Development and Construction is available for use by cities, counties, engineers, developers, and contractors in the planning and design of stormwater management for streets, roads, and highways.
The purpose of TriSWM is to provide planning and design guidance for controlling the quality and quantity of stormwater runoff from streets and highways, and to encourage planning for stormwater management systems that:
- Provide safe driving conditions
- Minimize downstream flood risk
- Minimize downstream bank erosion
- Reduce pollutants in stormwater runoff to protect water quality
TriSWM provides strategies to help local governments and the private sector:
- Design roads and highways with stormwater impacts in mind
- Address and mitigate the adverse impacts of development on runoff
- Implement stormwater controls to meet the TriSWM planning and design approach